What is this internal compass? The Holy Spirit. It’s given to all who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and speaks to those yet to believe, to lead them to Christ.
The Holy Spirit is the subtle knowing without ever having any idea why you know it. It’s different from thinking, it’s different from logic or analysis … It’s a knowing without knowing that you knew it.
It’s unconscious reasoning, the guidance that compels you to turn left when all signs may be pointing right. It’s often the whisper inside that can lead you to the best results possible, if you will just learn to let go and give it a chance.
Whether it’s deciding which job to take, which direction to turn when you’re lost, or how to handle a conflict in your family, the Holy Spirit knows better than the rational mind. The problem is that many of us have buried that little voice so deeply within, we have a hard time hearing or feeling where it is
The good news is that the Holy Spirit is still there, you merely have to learn to hear it again.
To better listen to Him, try:
1. Reading the Word: Set some time aside every day to get into God’s word. How can you know about someone unless you spend time with Him? I’ve found it’s best if I hear the Word and read along with it.
2. Meditate: Spend time recalling what you’ve read, simply listening to what that still small voice is saying to you. Pick one or two verses and concentrate on them for as long as you feel the need to. Write it down and post it on your mirror, your computer screen, refrigerator or wherever you know you’ll see it repeatedly.
3. Be Creative: Our Heavenly Father is a creative being. How else would He have spoken the world into existence? You are His creation and have His DNA. As Jesus is, so are you. Step out of your comfort zone and experiment with writing, painting, singing and even speaking or sharing with others. You don’t have to preach, just be an encourager.
4. Learn to listen: In general, listen to friends, families, silence, and yourself. Know that the Holy Spirit can speak in a number of ways. The Father is continually speaking to us. Learn to recognize His voice from all you come in contact with.
5. Be God conscious: Learn to appreciate the little signs and signals you receive from everything around you. Remember His word and take comfort from it when facing everyday trials.
6. Let it go: Embrace the idea that you don’t have to control everything. Life is going to happen whether you overthink it or not. Rest in the promise that life is living it, one moment at a time, and no matter what comes at you, God is always in control.
7. Stay positive and know that you are loved: Being conscious of the fact that God loves you no matter what, helps you to hear His voice. Remembering that He is for you and not against you should put a smile on your face and a spring in your step.
Working on becoming more attuned to the voice of the Spirit requires you to adopt healthier habits and a healthier mindset. These are things that are good
for your mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing. And if practiced daily, it
will lead to joy unspeakable.